Monday, January 24, 2011

combat boots to cowboy boots

Ok, I admit, I'm no expert at coming up with clever titles. Rifles into Radishes? Bullets into Beanstalks? But hey, at least I can claim legitimacy for "Swords into Plows" from two verses in a book that's thousands of years old and nobody ever actually reads.

Combat Boots to Cowboy Boots may not have the most graceful moniker, but the program offers support for veterans needing an agriculture education. I found it through this article, which says:
"The program is an example of a new crop of nonprofits, college programs and a new office inside the U.S. Department of Agriculture that are all trying to ease a transition into the agricultural industry for young veterans."
Apparently, similar programs are popping up all over the country.

If we don't have one in my hometown, I'm so going to start one.

The University of Nebraska's splash page for this program offers a quote which sums up my own philosophy on food security well:

“You can’t build a peaceful world on empty stomachs and human misery.”
- Norman Borlaug

No comments:

Post a Comment